Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Effective Ministry for HIV and AIDS

What is the most effective and efficient church program for HIV and AIDS? I do not have the answer. But I cans share what churches in the Visayas have done effectively and efficiently with only little resource to use. Using the principles of Effective Altruism, we want to have cost-efective health programs that will benefit the most people with the least cost. One of which is health promotion in churches. 

Simple activities include Bible study on HIV, fellowships themed on HIV, preaching on HIV and liturgy on HIV. The activities are already inherent to the church, it only needs to emphasize the issues related to HIV stigma and discrimination - the main culprit of this menace.

As I have posted earlier, "Effective altruism does not question the intent of the people to help others. For many utilitarians like Dr. Singer, they question the impact and effectiveness of the help offered. Effective altruism, thus, puts into proper perspective how medical missions (or HIV programs) can effectively impact the health of the wider-community. Were the resources used properly? But for virtuous doctors, the question really is, can the medical (programs) missions effectively help me become a virtuous doctor? Are the medical (programs) missions the best venue in forming in me virtues that will make me an excellent doctor?  For Christian doctors, can these medical (programs) missions be the best way for us to achieve Christ-likeness? Will these activities form in me virtuous of magnificence? Do I practice generosity?

For in generosity, I am helping the best way I can to a person who needs me most.

No comments:

Post a Comment